Under the direction of the Safety Manager, the Program Safety Manager will develop and lead the safety and health programs for the General Mitchell International Airport (GMIA) division of Milwaukee County. This position will provide guidance, implementation, and management for safety compliance and other related functions within the division.
- Develop, implement and Ensure the Airport’s Enterprise Wide Safety Management System (SMS) is in compliance with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requirements as well as ensuring Airport compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) and the Americans with Disability Act (ADA). This includes manual development, maintenance, and organization of Safety Risk Management panels.
- Conduct safety inspections and assessments. Monitor the progress of SMS and recommends action plans. Conduct equipment, building safety, and health inspections.
- Manage GMIA Safety Program. Develop, refine, and update safety policies and programs for the specific divisional needs within the Department of Transportation (DOT). Incorporate Risk Management directives into daily safety program to facilitate positive safety culture change.
- Safety Education and Training. Responsible for maintaining, coordination, and conducting current safety training and recordkeeping for all divisional staff members.
- Safety and Health Compliance. Interpret compliance guidelines to ensure divisions are following necessary regulatory requirements established by federal, state and local agencies; review updated regulatory compliance guidance and incorporate as informational updates and routine training exercises.
- Accident Investigation. Investigate all work related injuries and illnesses. Report to the accident scene promptly, gather information through pictures, employee interviews and other investigative techniques. Work with staff to determine rood cause analysis and corrective actions.
- Safety Inspections and Audits. Perform continual jobsite and facility visits on a weekly basis conducting toolbox talks and inspections/audits.
- Safety Reporting. Provide written and verbal communication including reports, applications, forms, presentations, and correspondence to internal and external agencies as required.
- Perform special projects and other tasks as necessary.
- Possession of a valid Wisconsin driver’s license required at time of application and maintained during incumbency.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university preferably in Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Airport Management, or Risk Management.
- At least one year (three total preferred) with a working title as a Safety professional in the general industry or construction field.
- OSHA 30 Hour training is preferred.
- GMIA Class II attained within 6 months of hire.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) is desirable.
ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Independent worker with the ability to multi-task; strong oral and written communication skills; able to maintain a continuing working relationship which can have a significant effect on the success of the organization; ability to prepare and to present communications which pertain to controversial and complex topics, project management skills, customer service skills, analytical skills; able to read, analyze and interpret procedure manuals, technical journals and procedures, government regulations, financial and legal documents; maintain sensitive or confidential information; explain and gather information, answer queries, or ask assistance with internal and/or external contacts.
THE ORIGINAL APPLICATION is open to qualified residents of the State of Wisconsin.
APPLICANTS MUST POSSESS MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AT TIME OF FILING APPLICATION.
This position is open to qualified internal and external candidates. An online application may be filed at www.jobs.milwaukeecounty.org. Candidates will be asked to submit a full account of their training and experience, and may be asked to take a written or performance test as part of the selection process.
Milwaukee County provides a competitive benefits package.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.