Under the direction of the Health, Safety, Environmental & Facilities Manager, the HSE Specialist develops, leads and administers the organization’s multi-site environmental and safety programs which exceed compliance with OSHA and ISO requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Promotes and ensures the health and safety of employees and protection of the environment through responsive and proactive HSE programs. Protect employees from accidents and environmental hazards while ensuring compliance with regulations. Establishes performance target objectives aligned with strategic ABB direction in core functions (Safety and Environmental) and monitors achievement of.
- Act as consultant to management in health, ergonomic and safety related issues. Identify opportunities for improvement in the HSE program in regards to compliance, management systems, and culture.
- Develop, recommend and implement appropriate corrective measures.Develop recommendations to reduce costs and improve organizational effectiveness.
- Maintain HSE management systems including control of documents and records, operational control procedures, and continuous improvement.
- Support the incident investigation process to ensure proper root cause, corrective actions, and preventative measures are taken. Ensure process for filing necessary reports and documentation is followed. Train and develop operations leadership in effective incident investigation.
- Support the HSE employee teams to improve overall HSE program and culture. Train and develop team leads and ensure teams have proper resources and direction to drive results. Teams may include but are not limited to: Emergency Response, Safety Zone Champions, Ergonomics, Electrical Safety, Office Safety, and Green (Environmental)
- Develop, conduct and maintain HSE orientation programs. Train staff in HSE awareness and compliance requirements. Schedule all HSE compliance training activities for the company and maintain records as appropriate.
- Maintain all safety and compliance records for employees and the facilities supported.
- Support sustainability initiatives and maintain energy, water and waste consumption metrics. Develop, recommend and implement appropriate controls to reduce use or disposal.
- Ensures the availability, reliability, and readiness of safety and fire prevention equipment; protective clothing and devices; and first aid supplies.
- Keeps apprised of developments in federal and state safety and environmental regulations likely to affect the facilities.
- Manage safety and environmental improvement projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors’ degree and 5 years’ experience in health and/or safety and/or environmental in a manufacturing environment
*A Master’s Degree in required field = Credit given for 2 years of work experience.
*A PhD/Doctorate in required field = Credit given for 3 years of work experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety or Safety Engineering or a directly related field
- 5+ years of directly related experience in a manufacturing environment
- Strong verbal, written, analytical, and employee relations skills
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization
- Certification as a Safety Professional
- First Responder or other applicable certifications